April 22nd, 2013 | Published in Uncategorized
I never thought last year when I decided to build myself a shed that it would take so long, be so complicated and cost so much! It’s almost finished, and it looks great but hell it’s has taken some doing.
It went something like this. First I found a shed to buy; it came from Queensland from a bunch called Widespan Sheds and if you are ever in the market for a big shed, give them a miss they are dreadful to deal with. But after suffering their administrative trivia for several weeks I had got through the hoops and had a shed ordered and a promised delivery date.
Next I discovered because of the size of my shed I needed a building permit. I rang the local council who appeared to know nothing about the process and referred me to a ‘private individual’ whose sole purpose in life was to acquire other people building permits as the council didn’t want to get involved any more. He wanted $500 for his services plus the fees the council wanted for a variety of bits of paper.
Half way through the long list of things I had to acquire or get certified was an item suggesting I needed to get drawings made of the property with the shed on it. I asked my tame permit guy about it and he told me I did need drawings, and guess what there were a bunch of folks just down the road who could draw them for me, and by coincidence, they charged $500 for the privilege! So I went and saw them and got that process underway.
Armed with all the documents, and after I’d paid the now just in excess of $700 bill for the building permit, I received a piece of paper telling me I could begin to build my shed, but progress needed to be inspected at regular intervals.
Meanwhile I’d been trying to get someone to commit to actually building the shed for me. I was out in touch with a bunch by the folks I bought them shed from who committed to a price and date that suited me so I said yes. Just after I said yes, they changed the dates on me, slipping it by about a week. I went back to them and said I wasn’t that happy with that as the shed was being delivered to coincide with their committed date and now they were changing it. The response I got was to tell me that in fact they were now slipping the date again to an as yet to be advised date around a month later that the original date, at which point I told them not to bother and went and started looking for someone else to do it. After a couple of goes I found someone who committed to dates and prices so we agreed, and signed the deal.
Next the shed arrived. Amongst the plethora of forms the shed suppliers had sent me was one about delivery method, basically asking if they could get a semi-trailer up my driveway, I answered no. And yes you guessed it, when the shed arrived, it was on a semi-trailer, so the driver and I agreed that he should take it away again. The delivery was rescheduled for a few days later and arrived very early in the morning on a truck as large as the first one though this one was not a semi-trailer but again would not fit, or to be more honest, attempt to fit, in my driveway. After a number of phone calls the shed was left at the top of my driveway near the road and I spent the rest of the day moving it a piece at a time – total weight of shed two tons – to where I’d wanted it delivered in the first place.
The guys who agreed to build the shed arrived as they promised to put in the concrete footings onto which the shed would be attached. What happened next is covered in the post below on putting up my Hills Hoist but we got there, just before the end of the day and darkness descending.
Next I went and ordered a 5000 litre water tank for the shed, as it seems you aren’t allowed to let rainwater just run onto the ground anymore it needs to go ‘somewhere’ like into the stormwater system, or in my case a 5000 litre water tank.
The shed builders came back a week later and put the shed up in four days. A fun four days as they brought a caravan to sleep in and we spent every evening they were there sitting around my outside table drinking and storytelling, they were a couple of nice guys. And finally the shed was up and we had a shed wetting drink and they hitched up their van and headed for home.
Next came the concrete slab. The guys to do that arrived one day in the week and prepared the ground, and came back at the end of the week and poured the concrete, returning today to finish it, cut joints, take away the edging etc.
I have an electrician coming this evening to look over and give me a quote on putting electrics into the shed, and a plumber arriving at the weekend to fix up the water tank and drainage. At that point I will be able to seal the concrete inside the shed, and once that is done, it is finished.
It has been a long exercise, lasting several months but we are almost there. I’ve embedded a series of photos in this post showing the various stages of the build, to date. And now if you ever need to have a shed built, call me, I’m an expert!